Your roof is important. The roof literally protects every aspect of the structure, foundation, and everything inside. Protecting your largest investment, and everything inside of it is a crucial task but, unfortunately, the roof is often overlooked. The roof of your house requires attention to keep it functioning properly. Contrary to popular belief, a roof is not an "install and forget" product.
The good news is, with proper maintenance, your roof can last for many years. Regularly maintaining your roof can save you a lot of stress, headaches, and money. Here are four reasons you should do regular roof maintenance.
- Lifespan. The lifespan of any roof is determined by how well it was taken care of. Routine inspections and proper maintenance are an imperative part of ensuring your roof meets its life expectancy. Without proper roof maintenance, leaves, dirt, and other debris can get caught in weak areas of the roof and gutter system, build up, and inevitably cause damage to the roof system. If left too long, these debris can deteriorate the roof system to the point of where it can leak. Regular roof maintenance can also help identify problem areas before they become an issue.
- Home Value. Ensuring the house is in good condition can help the home retain its value. Rotting beams, ceiling stains, mold and pest issues, and dry rot can be avoided with a properly maintained roof. When it comes to selling your home, having a well-maintained home will certainly help the value.
- Health. Leaking roofs can cause a plethora of issues for the structure, and foundation of the home. It can also create a condition for mold and mildew growth in the attic or even in the ceilings / walls of your home. Mold spores near HVAC / AC systems can circulate throughout the entire home. Mold and mildew can cause asthma flare ups, rashes, headaches, and respiratory illnesses. Ensuring your roof is in good working condition can eliminate these risks.
- Curb Appeal. For obvious reasons, having a dilapidated roof, one with missing shingles or cracked tiles, covered in moss, or in otherwise poor condition can have a huge impact on the curb appeal of a home. You may not notice how much the roof condition influences the look of a home but look at any house with a newly installed roof and you can see how much a new roof increases the overall appearance of the home. The roof is often times the first impression, and no amount of paint can help the curb appeal of a home if the roof is in shoddy condition.
There’s no doubt that roof maintenance is an important chore. These are important tasks involved in maintaining your roof system.
- Blow off debris from roof
- Blow out valleys, if applicable
- Clean debris from gutters
- Visually inspect condition of roof
- Check and seal roof flashings
Roof maintenance can be a simple enough task but being on a roof is undeniably dangerous. That’s why it is always recommended that you contact a reputable roofing company for all your roofing needs.